Carrara Angel, Mutter Gottes Kirche
Mutter Gottes Kirche
Two Carrara marble angels at the rear of the church hold holy water bowls.
The German Catholics of Covington attended St. Mary Parish on 5th Street from the time of its founding. However, as their numbers increased, the need for a separate parish began apparent. In 1841, the Reverend Ferdinand Kuhr, a native of Eslohe, Prussia, was appointed to organize the Covington Germans into a new congregation. A temporary chapel was set up in a building on Scott Street in 1841. Mother of God was the second Catholic parish to be established in Northern Kentucky. In the spring of 1842, the congregation purchased a lot at the southwest corner of 6th and Washington. On this lot, a new church was constructed. The German population rapidly increased throughout the pre-Civil War era in Covington. A number of new daughter parishes were formed from the territory of Mother of God to meet these needs of these newcomers. Despite the development of new German parishes in the city, Mother of God congregation continued to flourish.
In 1870, Father Kuhr and the parishioners began planning for the construction of a new Mother of God Church. The old church building was demolished and ground was broken for the new Italian Renaissance Revival structure. The new Mother of God Church sported a large portico supported by four Corinthian columns, two large towers and a cupola.