Kingston Lacy Gardens - Kingston Lacy Estate - Egyptian obelisk
At Kingston Lacy Estate, a National Trust run property with extensive gardens in Dorset. To the west of the town of Wimborne Minster.
It was home of the Bankes family, who's original seat was at Corfe Castle until it's destruction during the English Civil War. A new site was chosen by Sir John Bankes, but the house was eventually built by his son Ralph Bankes.
The last owner of Kingston Lacy - Henry John Ralph Bankes gave the estate to the National Trust after his death in 1981 (a seven times great grandson of original creator Sir Ralph Bankes).
The gardens at Kingston Lacy.
Egyptian obelisk installed at Kingston Lacy in 1827. First foundation stone laid by Arthur Duke of Wellington.
Grade II* listed.
Obelisk 140 m south-west of
Kingston Lacey House
ST 90 SE 3/11 18.3.55
Egyptian obelisk, C2BC, of granite, brought from Philac and set up in 1827, on a
base of three granite steps. Carved inscription on base commemorates this.
RCHM Monument 4.
Listing NGR: ST9779201128
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage