new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Tintinhull House - small door | by ell brown
Back to photostream

Tintinhull House - small door

A visit to Tintinhull Garden in the village of Tintinhull, Somerset.

 

Is run by the National Trust.

 

This is Tintinhull House in South Somerset, and surrounding buildings.

 

Grade I listed building.

 

Tintinhull House, Tintinhull

 

Tintinhull House, Farm Street.

14/346

7/346

 

------------------------------------

 

Tintinhull House, Farm Street.

14/346

7/346

 

------------------------------------

 

TINTINHULL CP FARM STREET (North side)

ST5019

 

14/346 Tintinhull House

 

19.4.61

 

GV I

 

Detached house. C17, reshaped early C18 and later. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables;

stone chimney stacks. Double roof plan with additions. Two storeys with attics; east entrance elevation 5 bays, of

which bay 1 is a projecting gable. Continuous string to ground floor and eaves course; single-storey flat roofed

addition bays 2 and 3 probably early C20; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows; bay 1 has 3-light below, with moulded

cambered-arched door to right, and above a 5-light window, with 3-light to attic, all with labels; small blind window

in return at first floor level; bays 2 and 4 have 3-light windows, and bay 3 a 2-light transomed and mullioned, all

with labels; to lower bay 4 and a 5-light window with chamfered cambered-arched doorway to right; small square window

upper bay 5 and one blocked below; attic dormer window with flat roof between bays 2 and 3; in corner a stone water

cistern. West front, added c1720, also 5 bays but in classical style: this has hipped stone tile roof and chimneys with

moulded caps: high rusticated plinth, rusticated outer pilasters, eaves cornice; centre 3 bays enclosed by plain

pilasters with Tuscan caps carrying simple pediment above eaves course; 2-light mullioned and transomed windows, beaded

with architraves, rectangular-leaded with iron-framed opening lights having curl stays; to lower bay 3 a doorway, up 5

steps, with part-glazed panelled door, surround having attached Tuscan columns and entablature with segmental pediment;

in main upper pediment a circular attic window with iron-framed casements, scrolled decorative frame; and in roof

between bays 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 are 2-light dormer windows with pediments over; small 2-light basement windows in

plinth bays 2 and 4. South elevation, to street, has two prominent gables, each crowned by chimney stacks, and several

mullioned windows; north elevation has one gable, with 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in recess above and

similar ovolo-mould window under label below, and in western section are four 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing

bars in nave mould recesses. Interior in two distinct halves, the east C17 and the west C17; two staircases, the older

in the south-east corner, has-carved oak 3-centre-arched overthrow in moulded frame at foot of stairs, the balusters

later; the second staircase in centre of east section is early C18, dog-leg pattern, with turned balusters and deep

moulded curved handrail, bottom step with very generous side curl, and fielded panelled dado to wall sides. Principal

rooms in western section; the centre room has timber cornice and fielded dado panelling, Keinton stone flag floor,

simple surround to fireplace, and on axis with outer door a doorway into the stair hall has an ornate fanlight. The

dining room in the south-west corner is similar in detail, with a shell-hood recess with shaped shelves in north wall.

The north west corner drawing room fitted out c1740, with 'new' sash windows in north wall - here the cornice is more

elaborate, panelling is full height, with much use of egg-and dart decoration to panels and window openings, and the

fireplace surround, still restrained, is more elaborate in detail. First floor rooms not seen. A significant house in

its own right, with celebrated garden developed by two early C20 owners: it was the property of the Napper family (who

also owned Tintinhull Court, q.v) by 1630, although they did not always occupy it, and seems to have been sold by them

sometime after 1814: the C20 gardeners were the Revd. Dr. S.J.M. Price, up to l924, and from 1933 Mr. and Mrs. F. E.

Reiss. Gardens included in Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, HBMC, 1985 (Grade

II). The house now the property of the National Trust. (Oswald A. Country Life 19th April 1956, article on p798 et seq;

Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, January 1955).

  

Listing NGR: ST5024619742

  

The original house dates back to 1630 and was built for the Nappers, a prosperous local family. Built in pale Ham stone, its most striking aspect is the west front - a classic five-bay facade which was added in 1722. In 1933, the property was bought by Phyliss Reiss and her husband, Captain Reiss.

 

Mrs Reiss gave the house and garden to the National Trust in 1954.

 

Doors from the road.

 

Boundary wall and gate is Grade II listed.

 

South Boundary Wall to Tintinhull House with Gateway East of House, Tintinhull

 

South boundary wall etc. Farm Street

14/347

7/347

 

------------------------------------

 

South boundary wall etc. Farm Street

14/347

7/347

 

------------------------------------

 

TINTINHULL CP FARM STREET (North side)

ST5019

 

14/347 South boundary wall to Tintinhull

House with gateway east of house

 

GV II

 

Boundary wall. C18. Red brick; Flemish bond, on Ham stone plinth, angled Ham stone coping, extending about 73 metres

westwards from hous. the height varying from 2.5 to 4 metres: shorter wall with gateway to east, in English garden

wall bond about 2 metres high, with early C20 boarded door and parcels hatch near house, then Ham stone ashlar gate

piers with bell-hip caps, and mid C20 wrot iron gates set in quarter-circle concave sweeps. The whole adds considerably

to the setting of the important Tintinhull House (qv) and gardens, as well as the streetscene.

  

Listing NGR: ST5025619730

41,366 views
3 faves
4 comments
Taken on May 4, 2012