St Nicholas Church - Kings Norton - window

New shots of St Nicholas Church in Kings Norton, this time taken from the churchyard.

 

Church of St Nicholas, Birmingham

 

THE GREEN

1.

5104

(north-west side)

Kings Norton B38

Church of St Nicholas

SP 0478 NE 58/1 25.4.52

I

2.

Substantial medieval church of sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and west tower

with spire, south porch. Norman origin but predominantly late C13 and C14. Major

feature of C15 west tower and spire with contemporary south porch, gabled clerestory

a C17 addition chancel restored with considerable reconstruction by Ewan Christian

C1863. North aisle rebuilt with the old materials and vestry added to north west

end in the restoration of 1872 by W J Hopkins. The chancel retains 2 reset C12

round arched windows in the north wall, and was probably rebuilt in the early C13

with a further rebuild in the C14. Major rebuilding commenced late C13 with the 7

bay north aisle arcade, the south aisle arcade being early C14 - octagonal and

quatrefoil clustered shaft piers, but one circular. Arches of 2 chamfered orders.

C14 chancel arch of 2 orders with ball flower ornament to inner one, south aisle

windows with hood moulds C14: north aisle windows altered in 1872 restoration. The

tower and spires of the C15: 4 stages, the belfry arcade to each face with 4 2-light

mullioned-transomed windows, outer ones blind, all with crocketted gabled drip moulds

with finials. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, the graceful octagonal

spire rising above in 3 stages, the south porch also C15 with remains of a crocketed

image bracket above the doorway in the gable. Inside the porch the carved corner

corbels indicate the original intention to vault in stone. In C1659 (dated beam)

the 3 gables containing the south clerestory were added, those to the north removed

in the rebuilding of the north aisle of 1872. Good C16 and C17 monuments mostly

grouped under the tower, noteworthy for its strapwork the alabaster altar-tomb with

recumbent effigies of Sir Richard Grevis and 1632 and his wife. The church holds a

commanding position on a hillock set in a churchyard on the north side of the

green. The tower is a landmark.

 

 

 

Listing NGR: SP0493878958

 

 

One of the big windows.

1,750 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on March 22, 2012
  • ƒ/6.4
  • 5.9 mm
  • 1/160
  • 64
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 11 groups
This photo is in 1 album

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context