Gielgud Theatre - Shaftesbury Avenue, London - The Ladykillers
Theatre's on Shaftesbury Avenue
This is the Gielgud Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue in London.
Currently home of The Ladykillers.
It was the Globe Theatre, and before that the Hicks Theatre.
Grade II listed.
CITY OF WESTMINSTER SHAFTESBURY AVENUE Wl
TQ 2980 NE The Globe Theatre
Theatre. 1902, by W. G. R. Sprague. Portland stone, slate roof. Free
Baroque style with some French features. On corner site and designed as part of
a symmetrical composition with the Queen's Theatre, originally with similar plans
and elevations. 4 storeys. 2 windows wide to Shaftesbury Avenue, 3 windows wide
bowed corner and 3 window return to Rupert Street continued as plain brick and
stone facade. Foyer doorways on corner under canopy on ornamental brackets. Square
headed windows with enriched architraves and cornices to 1st and 2nd floors and
oeil de boeuf windows to 3rd floor; crowning cornice and balustrade. The bowed
corner is slightly recessed with 1st floor windows arcaded and with a giant Ionic order
uniting the 2nd and 3rd floors; above the main cornice, the bow is fully developed as
a short, buttressed, circular tower with stone dome. Good interior decorations,
including spacious circular foyer with Ionic columns; the auditorium, in a'Louis
XIV'style, is of circular form cut by the tangent of the proscenium wall and has
2 cantilevered balconies; the curved side walls at both levels dressed with pairs of
engaged Ionic columns carrying entablatures (a theme repeated in the Grand Saloon
behind the Dress Circle). Flanking the stage pairs of giant, pedestalled Corinthian
pilasters frame 2 tiers of boxes and carry entablature on and across the architrave
of the proscenium proper. Circular moulded ceiling with central crystal electrolier.
Original stage machinery includes the working bridge (of original form), grave trap,
2 single traps, elements of stage grid with a bridge winch and slider mechanisms,
etc. Sprague was a friend and collaborator of Frank Matcham.
Survey of London; vol XXXI
The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson
It opened in 1906 as the Hicks Theatre.
Renamed 1909 as Globe Theatre.
Changed name in 1994 as the Shakespeare Globe Theatre was going to open by 1997.