Church of St Paul - Leicester Street, Leamington Spa - church door
This is the Church of St Paul on Leicester Street in Leamington Spa.
It is one of the churches in Warwickshire being used for The Alpha Course.
It is a Grade II listed building.
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3266SW LEICESTER STREET
1208-1/4/243 (South side)
Church of St Paul
Church. 1873-84 with later additions and alterations including
those of c1980. By John Cundall of Leamington. Reddish-brown
brick with purple brick and ashlar dressings and cement-tile
STYLE: Gothic Revival, Early English.
PLAN: 4-bay nave with clerestory and aisles, 3-stage north
tower and steeple to second bay, north and south transepts,
2-bay chancel with south chapel, vestry and church rooms and
north office and youth rooms. North side of church faces
street with entrance to north side.
EXTERIOR: double-chamfered plinth. Nave has buttresses with
off-sets and pinnacles between bays; 3 cusped lancets to each
bay with continuous chamfered sill band and continuous
hoodmould. Clerestory has pair of 2-light windows with plate
tracery to each bay and continuous hoodmould, modillion
Tower: clasping buttresses with off-sets to 2 stages; entrance
to first stage, double plank doors in Caernarvon arched
surround within solid pointed-arched gable with three orders
of shafts with foliate capitals and roll-moulding above; stair
turret to west to lower stage; first-stage band; to second
stage are 2 slit lancets to north; second-stage band; 2-light
tall belfry windows to each side with 2 orders of arches on
slender columns with hoodmoulds; band with trefoil decoration;
steeple has further gabled belfry openings to base.
West end: plate-glass double doors in C20 extension give
access to corridor and west end, west end has a pointed-arched
opening with hoodmould; above a 5-light window with
geometrical-type tracery to head.
Transepts: to north a plank door in double-chamfered,
pointed-arched surround, with quatrefoil to arch; to both ends
a circular window with geometrical-type tracery, band to
gable; to north transept, east side a steeple. East end has
5-light window with geometrical-type tracery to head, bands
and quatrefoil to gable.
INTERIOR: one and a half bays to west end of nave have balcony
and, with aisles, are partitioned-off below to form church
rooms. Pointed-arched, double-chamfered arcade with inner
order of roll-moulding on red granite columns with
water-holding bases and foliate capitals, gault brick arches
above and continuous hoodmould. Windows have chamfered
surrounds; clerestory windows have single order of shafts with
roll-moulding to head.
Nave has scissor-braced roof. Transepts have pierced
balconies, the area below which is now partly blocked to form
church rooms, vestry etc.; crossing has tall, wide
double-chamfered arches on square piers with inner order of
roll-moulding on corbel capitals.
Chancel: aisle to north formerly contained organ, with
pointed-arched opening, now blocked; to south the Lady chapel
has pierced screen; to east end a 7-bay wall arcade has
slender shafts and roll-moulding to head; hammer-beam roof.
Stone pulpit has column clusters below and column shafts with
foliate capitals to body. Similar, lower lectern.
Some stained glass.
Inscription to foundation stone at base of north transept: 'TO
THE GLORY OF GOD / THIS FOUNDATION STONE OF/ S. PAUL'S CHURCH
WAS LAID BY / WILLIAM WILLES ESQ.RE 15TH MAY 1873'.
HISTORICAL NOTE: John Cundall was also architect of Leamington
Spa Town Hall, Parade (qv).
Forms an interesting architectural group with St Paul's
Parochial Rooms and Church House (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 334).
Another church door. Maybe the main one.