The Adelaide Bridge over the River Leam in Leamington Spa.
The bridge is Grade II listed.
Road bridge over River Leam. 1891. By William de Normanville;
abutments of c1850 by Mr Heritage (contractor) under the
supervision of Mr White, Surveyor to the local Board of
Health, and with repairs and restoration of c1993.
Engineering brick abutments with stone dressings, riveted
steel, braced arch girders and cast-iron balustrades. Single
25m span wide segmental arch with lattice-work braces to
series of 7 parallel arched girders. Ornate cast-iron
balustrade over arch. Large brick abutments remaining from
earlier bridge with parapets, the south abutments with
rusticated segmental arch tunnel. Cast-iron lamp standard on
parapets and balustrades.
HISTORICAL NOTE: de Normanville was Borough Engineer and
Surveyor of Leamington from 1882-1917. He engineered the River
Leam, building 3 of its bridges, remodelled the Pump Rooms,
Parade (qv) and designed its Swimming Bath, and laid out
Victoria Park, Mill Gardens and York Promenade.
(Storrie J: William de Normanville. Engineer, Architect and
Inventor: Leamington Spa: 34-40).
Lantern's on the bridge.
From Adelaide Road in Leamington Spa.