Birmingham Oratory - Plough and Harrow Road - The Oratory Priests' House and The Church of the Immaculate Conception
This is the Birmingham Oratory on Hagley Road and Plough and Harrow Road in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
In September 2010, Pope Benedict XVI came here after beaufifying Cardinal John Henry Newman.
The Oratory from Plough and Harrow Road.
This part of the Oratory is the The Church of the Immaculate Conception (the Oratory).
It is Grade II listed.
On the site of the original church of 1853 which had been added to and
embellished by John Hungerford Pollen in 1858-61. The present church of
1903-9 by E Doran Webb, and built as a memorial to Cardinal Newman (1801-90).
Stands back from the road and is approached through a gate beneath part of
St Philip's Grammar School (qv). Limestone; copper facing to dome. Long
nave with tunnel vault lit by dormer windows and carried on Corinthian
colonnades. Narrow passage aisles with side chapels in shallow bays in the
outer walls. Shallow north and south transepts; wide short apsidal chancel.
Over the crossing, a dome on a drum with large rectangular windows. The
interior decoration ornate and with much use of coloured marbles and mosaic
work, some of the latter by Westlake. Altar in the north transept from the
church of Sant Andrea della Valle in Rome. Altars beneath the choir
gallery and in the chapel of St Charles Borromeo by Pollen and from the old
church. St Phillips chapel on the south side of the church is of 1858. The
shrine of St Philip Neri in the north-east chapel, by G B Cox, is based
on that in the Chiesa Nuova in Rome and was added c1930.
On the right side is the The Oratory Priests' House at 141 Hagley Road.
It is Grade II * listed and was the home of John Henry Newman.
1850-1. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof. Three storeys; 5 bays with
quoins left and right. In an Italian Renaissance style. Grould floor with
central panelled door within stone surround with cornice and superimposed
segment headed panel flanked by vaults and 4 windws with stone eared and
corniced surrounds. Guilloche band at first floor level and a moulded band at
first sill level. First floor with 5 windows, the central one with eared and
corniced surround, the others with simple moulded surrounds. Cornice band at
second floor level. Second floor with 5 almost square windows, the centre with
eared surround, the others with simple surrounds. Eaves cornice with dentils
and mouldings. The home from 1852 to 1890 of John Henry, Cardinal Newman with
his rooms preserved in original condition.