This area of Avignon is the Place du Palais.
In this square is the Papal Palace (Palais des Papes), the Metropolitan Basilica, and The Old Mint (hotel des Monnaies)
The Metropolitan Basilica and the Papal Palace.
On the left is the Metropolitan Basilica, Notre-Dame des Doms, Cathedral of Avignon.
It got its Metropolitan title more than five centuries ago, when Avignon was raised to the rank of archbishopric by Pope Sixte IV.
The present building dates back to the second half of the 12th century, and was transformed during the 15th and 17th centuries.
During the Revolution the Basilica was damaged. It was handed back in 1822. The imposing gilded cast-iron statue of the Blessed Virgin was installed on the belfy in 1859.
Close ups of the Papal Palace (in French Palais des Papes).
The old Palace was begun under Pope Benoit XII. The new Palace under Pope Clement VI.
Dates from the 14th century.
These buildings give an idea of the grand life under the seven French popes who built a miniature Vatican during their rule here, lasting from 1309-77. They owned their own mint, baked a vast number of loaves every day, and fortified themselves against the French.
Entrance is by means of the Porte des Champeaux, beneath the twin pencil-shaped turrets of the flamboyant Palais Neuf (1342-52), built by Clement VI, which extends south from the solid Palais Vieux (1334-42) of Benoit XII.
Taken from DK Eyewitness Travel: Provence & The Cote D'Azur