Avignon - River Rhone - Pont d'Avignon, Metropolitan Basilica, Notre-Dame des Doms, Cathedral of Avignon and Papal Palace
Panoramic of the Pont d'Avignon, Metropolitan Basilica, Notre-Dame des Doms, Cathedral of Avignon and the Papal Palace in Avignon.
Before we went into Avignon, we stopped off at this view point for a photo stop.
For the Papal Palace, the Basilica / Cathedral and the Pont d'Avignon.
I also got the modern road bridge (to the right) and a big cruise ship.
Views of the Pont d'Avignon.
Begun in 1177 by shepherd boy Benezet, this bridge is the subject of the famous rhyme Sur le Pont d'Avignon.
When erected in the 12th century it had 22 arches and was 900 m long. Louis VIII had it almost completely destroyed when he laid siege to Avignon (in 1226).
Saint Benezet Bridge
Constructed in the 12th Century, this, the famous "Pont d'Avignon", originally had 22 arches and measured 900 metres long. During the seige of Avignon, Louis VIII ordered it to be almost completely destroyed.
Reconstruction work was carried out until the 17th Century but the unpredictability of the Rhone caused much damage to this impressive civil engineering feat.
Despite the goodwill of the people of Avignon during this century, only four arches of the bridge and Saint Nicholas' Chapel still stand. Built on two storeys, the chapel as the burial place of Benezet, shepherd of Provence, who, according to the legend, built the bridge.
In 1674, the remains of the Saint were taken to Celestins' Church from which they disappeared during the French Revolution.
View of the Papal Palace.
The old Palace was begun under Pope Benoit XII. The new Palace under Pope Clement VI.
Dates from the 14th century.
On the left is the Metropolitan Basilica, Notre-Dame des Doms, Cathedral of Avignon.
It got its Metropolitan title more than five centuries ago, when Avignon was raised to the rank of archbishopric by Pope Sixte IV.
The present building dates back to the second half of the 12th century, and was transformed during the 15th and 17th centuries.
During the Revolution the Basilica was damaged. It was handed back in 1822. The imposing gilded cast-iron statue of the Blessed Virgin was installed on the belfy in 1859.