The Lion of St Mark, Piazza delle Erbe, Verona
This is Piazza delle Erbe in Verona. It was the site of the Forum where the Roman town was.
It is now the site of a market.
On this column is The Lion of St Mark. The column dates from the 16th century. The original sculpture was destroyed by the Jacobins in the 18th century but was replaced by a copy at the end of the 19th century.
Behind the column is the Palazzo Maffei.
The Palazzo Maffei was built in 1668, a dignified structure surmounted by a balustrade supporting six statues of mythical gods and goddesses (Hercules, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Apollo and Minerva).
Information from "Verona: History and Masterpieces - English Edition".