new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Cardinal's Hat - Friar St, Worcester - pub sign | by ell brown
Back to photostream

The Cardinal's Hat - Friar St, Worcester - pub sign

This is a pub on Friar St called The Cardinal's Hat.

 

The building dates back to 1497.

 

The current owner is Austrian, Andrea Schultz, hence most of the brews is imported from Austria.

 

This is a pub on Friar St called The Cardinal's Hat, at no 31 Friar Street.

 

The building dates back to 1497.

 

The current owner is Austrian, Andrea Schultz, hence most of the brews is imported from Austria.

 

When listed as Grade II in 1971 it was the Davenport (No 31) and The Chattery (No 29).

 

It was a house, now a public house, built around 1760, with possible origins in the late 15th century. It has pinkish-orange brick in Flemish bond. It has a Tudorbethan pub frontage style.

 

There has been a public house on this site since 1497 called The Cardinal's Hat. John Gaskell, a London carrier, bought the property in 1757, and soon after rebuilt it. In 1814 the property reverted to an inn, then called the Coventry Arms.

 

The Cardinals Hat - Heritage Gateway

1,666 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on September 13, 2009