79 - 83 Colmore Row - RBS - Royal Bank of Scotland
This is the RBS bank building on Colmore Row (no 79 to 83).
It is Grade II listed.
City Centre B3
Nos 79 to 83 (odd)
SP 0687 SE 29/10 21.1.70
Late C19. Stone. Three storeys; 5 bays, the inner 3 slightly advanced. Ground
floor with an arched side entrance up steps and beneath a segmental hood born on
headless birds as brackets, a large arched window on a vermiculated surround. The
principal entrance up steps, arched and within a porch with coupled Corinthian
columns and balcony and then another large window and side entrance. First floor
with, centrally, 3 windows with balconies and flanking unfluted Corinthian columns
carrying heavily ornate segmental pediments with urns and outer windows in moulded
surrounds and with detached segmental pediment. Second floor with an arcade of 7
small arched windows with much sculpture in the spandrels and aprons and, left,
Lorenzo Ghiberti and, right, Benvenuto Cellini. Above, in the centre, a richly
decorated and bracketted cornice with attic balustrade.
Listing NGR: SP0685387037
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
Nos. 79-83, Royal Bank of Scotland, is by J.A. Chatwin, 1871-3, for William Spurrier. He sold silver and plated goods, hence the sculpted heads of Renaissance goldsmiths, Ghiberti and Cellini, in roundels on the top floor, which also reflects the Chamberlainite programme of creating in Birmingham an Italian city state. A rich, original and functional three-storey front.
From Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster