new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Route de la Digue, Cluny - The Tour Ronde -  The Cluny National Stud | by ell brown
Back to group

Route de la Digue, Cluny - The Tour Ronde - The Cluny National Stud

Heading towards Cluny on the coach along the D980. Near the end, just before we got off (to go to the Abbey of Cluny) was a horse riding school (founded in the Napoleonic era).

 

Cluny or Clugny is a commune in the Saône-et-Loire department of the region of Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, in eastern France. It is 20 km (12 mi) northwest of Mâcon.

 

The town grew up around the Benedictine Abbey of Cluny, founded by Duke William I of Aquitaine in 910. The height of Cluniac influence was from the second half of the 10th century through the early 12th. The abbey was sacked by the Huguenots in 1562, and many of its valuable manuscripts were destroyed or removed.

 

 

Route de la Digue

 

 

The Tour Ronde

 

It dates to the early 13th century. Built in limestone and laid in regular, medium bond. It is 30 metres high. The tower is pierce with arrow slits, vertical loopholes. The room on the top level is pierced with seven bays.

 

 

horse riding school

 

 

Association Equivallée

 

The Cluny National Stud

 

A real place devoted to the horse since the Napoleonic Empire, the National Stud of Cluny takes shape at the foot of the famous abbey of Cluny.

More than 200 years of equestrian history have forged an identity at this high heritage site, where stables dating from the early 19th century are remarkably integrated into a park in the heart of Cluny, city of art and history.

 

Since their creation, the royal, imperial and then national studs have had as their main mission to ensure breeding. Today, the National Stud of Cluny develops its cultural activities to promote the horse industry. In collaboration with the socio-professionals of the sector and local and regional authorities, projects are also put in place, Always with a view to enhancing and professionalizing the equine sector.

The National Stud of Cluny is also one of the essential elements of Equivallée Cluny, a national equestrian center linking the Haras, the equestrian center and the racecourse in a single ensemble, thus allowing to host equestrian events of national and international renown .

 

A short history of the National Studs: Colbert's decision, under Louis XIV, instituted the Haras administration in 1665 to meet the needs of horses for wars. At the revolution, the first six royal studs will undergo a closure. Then, Napoleon I re-established the institution of Haras by the decree of 1806.

 

Following this decision, The National Stud of Cluny will be born at the site of the abbey church Cluny III. The first fifty stallions were housed in 1807 in the stables Saint-Hugues attached to the abbey. They are moved seven years later in the current stables.

 

Time passes, the needs in terms of horses change and evolve, the Haras, at the end of the 19th century, hosts therefore the maximum strength of 150 horses. Today, the National Stud of Cluny is part of the public establishment "the French institute of horse and riding" gathering the National Studs and the National School of Equitation.

 

 

In the heart of the abbey town of Cluny, the sounds of the horses still and always rhythm the everyday life of the Stud. The first fifty stallions were housed in 1807 in the stables Saint-Hugues attached to the abbey. They are moved seven years later in the current stables. Time passes, the needs in terms of horses change and evolve, the Haras, at the end of the 19th century, hosts therefore the maximum strength of 150 horses. Today, the National Stud of Cluny is part of the public establishment "the French institute of horse and riding" gathering the National Studs and the National School of Equitation. In the heart of the abbey town of Cluny, the sounds of the horses still and always rhythm the everyday life of the Stud. The first fifty stallions were housed in 1807 in the stables Saint-Hugues attached to the abbey. They are moved seven years later in the current stables. Time passes, the needs in terms of horses change and evolve, the Haras, at the end of the 19th century, hosts therefore the maximum strength of 150 horses. Today, the National Stud of Cluny is part of the public establishment "the French institute of horse and riding" gathering the National Studs and the National School of Equitation. In the heart of the abbey town of Cluny, the sounds of the horses still and always rhythm the everyday life of the Stud. The needs in terms of horses change and evolve, the Haras, at the end of the 19th century, hosts therefore the maximum strength of 150 horses. Today, the National Stud of Cluny is part of the public establishment "the French institute of horse and riding" gathering the National Studs and the National School of Equitation. In the heart of the abbey town of Cluny, the sounds of the horses still and always rhythm the everyday life of the Stud. The needs in terms of horses change and evolve, the Haras, at the end of the 19th century, hosts therefore the maximum strength of 150 horses. Today, the National Stud of Cluny is part of the public establishment "the French institute of horse and riding" gathering the National Studs and the National School of Equitation. In the heart of the abbey town of Cluny, the sounds of the horses still and always rhythm the everyday life of the Stud.

717 views
2 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 5, 2017