Roman Bridge - Calle Ronda de Isasa, Cordoba
The Roman Bridge in Cordoba as seen from the Calle Ronda de Isasa.
It was built in Cordoba in Roman times by the Emperor Augusto, being part of the Via Augusta. It is 225 meters length and consists of 16 round arches except for four of them which are pointed and the extreme ones that are segmental, and lean on stirrups, communicating both banks of the Guadalquivir River.
Along history, it has suffered many reforms especially because of battles and riots. As a result, many reconstrutions have taken place, the first one in 720, acquiring its current aspect between the VIII and XIII Centuries. In the centre, it has a sculpture of St Rafael from 1651, by the sculptor Bernabé Gómez del Río.
View of the Calahorra Tower
Its name means castle (Qalat) free (hurray). La Calahorra has its plant shaped as a cross, whose three branches are represented by three towers with battlements, joined by bodies of equal height.
The building is currently preserved, with very slight modifications, as he was taken up and completed in 1369, by order of King Enrique II, over a fortification of the Muslims. It was prison for nobility (XVIII), troops and the Guardia Civil headquarters (XIX), and girls' school and the city's historical museum (XX).