Cathedral Lanes Shopping Centre - Coventry - Lady Godiva statue
A quick look at the Cathedral Lanes Shopping Centre in Coventry.
Lady Godiva statue in Broadgate.
Grade II* listed statue.
SP 3379 SW COVENTRY BROADGATE
833/4/10097 Lady Godiva statue
Equestrian figure of Lady Godiva. 1949 by Sir Williain Reid Dick, sculptor, at the expense of William Bassett-Green. Bronze statue on Portland stone base. Rectangular plinth with overhanging cavetto moulding, a podium with cavetto and roll mouldings at the base and battered sides. The design of the base is reminiscent of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens, who had died in 1944 but with whom Dick had frequently worked. The statue symbolised the regeneration of Coventry after its bombing and was donated to boost morale at a time when rebuilding work was delayed by shortages. It was intended as the focal point of Broadgate, and originally faced the clock tower of Broadgate House where it could be seen by 'Peeping Tom'. Lady Godiva was turned through ninety degrees in 1990, to face the entrance to the Upper Precinct and to lie on axis between the Lower Precinct and Cathedral.
Listing NGR: SP3340379003
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage