Edward Beck & Son Ltd Commer QX TS3 4X2 Tractor Unit Reg No 0JA 351
New to Edward Beck & Son Ltd in 1958 was this Commer 4x2 tractor unit Reg No OJA 351 which was one of three Commer QX TS3's operated by the company during the late 1950's and early 1960's.
It is pictured in 1961 at the junction of Greg Street and Broadstone Hall Road South in Stockport next to the site for the yet to be built Edward Beck & Son Ltd head office
Reg No OJA 351 was fitted with Rootes two-stroke compression-ignition diesel engine with uniflow-ported cylinders.
These engines gained a reputation for good performance although the quill shaft was somewhat prone to breaking if over-worked.
The engine's distinctive exhaust bark was always apparent, leading to their popular name of "Knockers".
Photograph courtesy of Teddy Beck.
You can view the Edward Beck & Son Ltd Collection here on Flickr.
More images along with the company's detailed history can be found
on the dedicated Edward Beck & Son Ltd Stockport Web Site
This site contains many unseen images which have been taken from 35mm colour slides kindly supplied by Teddy Beck