new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
the passage of time | by José Eduardo Nucci Photography
Back to photostream

the passage of time

a passagem do tempo-

 

À época da fundação da cidade do Rio de Janeiro, vastas sesmarias foram doadas fora dos limites urbanos, em torno da baía de Guanabara.

 

João de Souza Pereira Botafogo, proprietário e residente no local, deu nome à enseada, à praia e ao bairro que se formaria nos séculos seguintes.

 

O grande impulso para a ocupação da área foi dado, no início do século XIX, pela figura ilustre da Princesa Carlota Joaquina, esposa do Príncipe-Regente D. João, que apreciava passar temporadas em uma chácara localizada na atual esquina da rua Marquês de Abrantes com a praia de Botafogo.

    

Vista panorâmica da enseada de Botafogo.

Posteriormente, nos idos de 1846, um sistema de barcas a vapor fazia a ligação entre Botafogo e o Cais Pharoux (atual Praça XV de Novembro). Em fins de 1860, o estabelecimento de linhas de bonde facilitou o acesso ao bairro, permitindo a urbanização. A partir dessa época, as imponentes chácaras passaram a conviver com sobrados de classe média e com cortiços populares.

 

Dentre as maiores atrações da enseada de Botafogo está o conhecido Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro, cujo cais e marina se fazem visíveis de quase todos os pontos do bairro.

 

No início do século XX, quando da administração do prefeito Pereira Passos (1902-1906), a orla da praia recebeu os jardins da avenida Beira-Mar, estes tiveram projeto paisagístico do francês Paul Villon (Paulo Villon).

 

Fonte:Wikipédia

 

The passage of time-

 

At the time of the founding of the city of Rio de Janeiro, vast land grants were given outside the city limits, around the bay.

 

João Pereira de Souza Botafogo, owner and resident on site, named the bay, the beach and the neighborhood that would form in the following centuries.

 

The big push for the occupation of the area was given at the beginning of the nineteenth century, the illustrious figure of the Princess Carlota Joaquina, wife of the Prince Regent D. John, who enjoyed spending time on a farm located in the present corner of Rua Marques de Abrantes with the beach of Botafogo.

     

Panoramic View of Botafogo Bay.

Later, back in 1846, a steam boat system was the connection between Botafogo and Pharoux Pier (now Praça XV November). In late 1860, the establishment of tramlines facilitated access to the neighborhood, allowing urbanization. Since then, the stately mansions began to coexist with middle class houses and tenements popular.

 

Among the biggest attractions of Botafogo Bay Yacht Club is known from Rio de Janeiro, where it docks and marina are visible from almost every point of the neighborhood.

 

In the early twentieth century, when the administration of Mayor Pereira Passos (1902-1906), the edge of the beach has received the gardens of the Beira-Mar, they had landscaped the Frenchman, Paul Villon (Paul Villon).

  

source:wikipédia

  

2,435 views
5 faves
28 comments
Taken on August 8, 2012