Coolmore Plantation, Edgecombe County, NC
Coolmore is probably one of the grandest Italianate plantation houses in the southeastern part of the country, with almost all of its original outbuildings still in existance and designed to complement the big house. This house was begun in late 1857 and completed just before the Civil War in 1860 and is still lived in by the original family, although now owned to ensure perpetual preservation by Preservation NC. It was designed by English-born architect E.G. Lind of Baltimore, MD. The house was designed for Dr. Joseph John Willis Powell and his wife, Martha Branch Whitaker Powell who had inherited the 3500 acre plantation in 1856 from Dr. Powell's uncle, Richard Harrison. The complex almost totally retains its original appearance and furnishings, both inside and outside.
115 photos · 4,239 views