Fall Of The Rebel Angels
Damaged by an earthquake in 1348, the original church on this site was abandoned. It was brought back to life around 1417 by the Colonna family who owned much of the surrounding area. Indeed the church of Santi Apostoli was almost considered the Colonna family chapel. The facade was changed much later and is quite unusual, making the church look almost like a palace. There is a Renaissance double loggia, and nine arches with statues resting atop. The fresco above the altar is one of the true masterworks of the Roman Baroque. Giovanni Odazzi's "Fall of the Rebel Angels". Similar to the Gesu church located nearby, the angels appear to tumble out of their frames and into the church below.