Happy Vestvember, y'all!
Yeah, I don't know if anyone is doing Vestvember anymore, but hey, it's November, and here's a vest, and I'm pretty super-duper excited about it.
This is Cascade Elite Skye Tweed in oatmeal, striped with my handspun Hello Yarn Romney in "Alpine" (a little less than 8 ounces), trimmed in Cascade 220 Heathers in "Pumpkin" (or something like that). Those two really light blue stripes at the chest kind of drive me crazy because of how they disappear into the main color, but I am trying to pretend that part of it away.
I started this in February 2010 as a 9th anniversary gift for My Old Man. I started it 10 days before our anniversary and finished it 20 months later. I was following the loose instructions in Knitting in the Old Way , which gives measurements in percentages, and when it got almost time to cut the steeks, I got nervous. Not about cutting, but about cutting if I didn't have the measurements right. It looked wrong to me somehow, and I was particularly unsure about the short row shaping I'd done at the shoulders, and I felt I should rip back and redo but wasn't all that sure. At the time, Jared Flood's Alberta pattern had not yet been released but would have been a great help.
Anyway, I set the thing aside for a couple of weeks, which turned into several months, and my poor husband, who never asks for anything, started asking me about his vest. I felt terrible, but then I felt paralyzed by uncertainty. So it continued to sit and wait, patient, just like my husband.
Then I took it to Rhinebeck with me, to get advice from knitting goddesses like Elinor Brown and Elspeth Kursh, and I determined that: a) I had set the steeks up right (though Elinor did suggest that stitch markers would be a helpful idea! - I'm pretty sure I had them in at some point, but who knows - it's not for nothing that My Old Man calls me Miss Approximate), and b) it became clear to me that the armholes were going to be WAY long. Which made me super-glad that I hadn't cut them way back when.
So I took the vest home, ripped it all the way back to below the armholes, then knit it back up - this time following the shaping from the Alberta pattern (though my stitch count was much different) - then cut the steeks (so much fun!), then added the trim, et voila! 20 months later, a vest!
Happy 9th Anniversary, honey!