new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
365.170 - last-minute desperate maneuver | by earthchick
Back to photostream

365.170 - last-minute desperate maneuver

I've been working off-and-on since March on a beaded stole to wear to my nephew's wedding this coming Saturday. When I got to the bind-off several days ago, I realized with horror that I was not going to have enough yarn to finish. The bind-off . I bought the yarn and beads with the pattern, as part of a kit. So theoretically there should've been enough yarn. But I screwed some things up in the beginning and wasted some yarn there. Still, I would've expected more of a cushion.

 

So I did the most ridiculous thing ever. I cut all the leftover yarn after weaving in ends, and then I did about 10 russian joins to make a piece of yarn long enough to bind off. Only I still didn't have enough yarn to do the russian bind-off I prefer for lace. So I went with a regular non-stretchy bind-off.

 

And essentially, this ruined the stole. I held out hope that I would be able to stretch it when I blocked, but no. The rest of the stole stretched the necessary 15 inches or so, but not the bind-off. It pulled in and made it impossible to get the stole to its proper dimensions. It looks terrible.

 

So I am undoing the bind-off - all 335 stitches, purled. And then I'm going to try a fix recommended by an online friend. I'm going to join a different yarn (same weight) to finish. The stole is grey (you can see in the background), the new yarn is cream. It'll be probably half the bind-off and I'm hoping it won't show very much. At this point I don't even care. I just want to get the thing done and blocked and dried and packed before we go. I have no back-up outfit for the wedding.

380 views
0 faves
28 comments
Taken on November 16, 2008