North Strand Bombing (02 of 57)
North Strand Road, rear of 153 (Denis Newcome) and 152 (D. Madden).
Photograph illustrating some of the damage caused by the German bombing of the North Strand, 1941.
On the night of 31 May 1941, four high-explosive bombs were dropped by German aircraft on the North Strand area of Dublin City. The casualties were many: 28 dead and 90 injured, with 300 houses damaged or destroyed. Charleville Mall Public Library was designated as the headquarters for the bombed area and City Architect Horace O’Rourke was in charge of the clearance project.
This particular photograph is one of 57 in the North Strand Bombing collection housed in the Dublin City Library and Archive, 138-144 Pearse Street, Dublin 2.
The original photograph measures 28cm (w) x 20cm (h) .
The photographs of the destruction caused by the North Strand Bombing in May 1941 were commissioned by Dublin Corporation as evidence for the assessment of insurance claims. The work was entrusted to a local photographer, H. McCrae, of 152 Clontarf Road, who began work on 4 June and continued until the end of the month. Further photographs were taken in July and September, and the final photographs were taken on 31 October.
© Dublin City Council