11-70 The Workhouse, Thorne South Yorkshire
Thorne Union was a group of parishes which included Althorpe, Amcotts, Belton, Crowle, Eastoft, Epworth, Keadby and Wroot in Lincolnshire and Fishlake, Stainforth, Hatfield, Sykehouse and Thorne in Yorkshire. The purpose of the Union was to make provision for the destitute. This workhouse or Union House, as it was called, was erected in 1839 as a refuge for the homeless and impoverished of the area. The inmates, up to one hundred and fifty in number, were mainly elderly or infirm but there was also a large number of children. Life in the workhouse was a last resort when family support and other charity failed. The workhouse was situated on Union Road, formerly called Poor House Lane, which joins Orchard Street and Lock Lane.