Fox's Factory Wellington (26)
The 12.6 acre former woollen textile mill complex is a brownfield site featuring a range of Grade II and Grade II* listed buildings. Established in 1790 by the Fox family, Tonedale Mill was the largest integrated mill in the South West, producing woollen and worsted fabrics. It became a site of national importance during the Boer War when the Tonedale dyers developed the ‘khaki’ dye - given the royal seal of approval by the then Prince of Wales in 1900 – which led to the end of British soldiers’ ‘redcoats’.
At its peak, Tonedale Mill employed some 4,500 people and exported fabrics around the world. It also provided livelihoods for other related trades on the site, including bookbinders, basket weavers, stonemasons and metalworkers.
From the 1950s, manufacturing at Britain’s mills went into decline. The deafening noise of the power looms housed in Tonedale’s weaving sheds was heard no more once production on the site ceased by the end of the 1990s, although the firm of Fox Brothers and Company Ltd still exists and operates in a nearby location to this day.