Douglas County Courthouse, Castle Rock, Colorado after 1965 flood
ACCESSION NUMBER: 1992.001.0678.0117
DESCRIPTION: Side view of Douglas County Courthouse, between Third and Fourth Streets on Wilcox in downtown Castle Rock (301 Wilcox) showing flood damage. The building is made of rhyolite, has a large center cupola with a railing and a bell tower, several smaller cupolas on the ends of the building. Large windows with transoms, two stories and a basement with windows are hidden behind a stone garage structure. Courthouse features hipped roof, brackets in the eaves, large chimneys (rhyolite and brick) and lightning rods on top of the building. The courthouse was built in 1889 and burned down in 1978. Large seasonal trees and pine trees in the yard of the courthouse, as well as tennis courts on the west side. In front of the courthouse (on the other side of 3rd Street) is one story garage structure with a flat roof. A small wooden building (painted white) is next to the garage. A large wooden structure is on the other side (toward Wilcox Street on the right). Parts of automobiles are found throughout the foreground of the photograph. A retaining wall is built in the foreground, with large wooden beams and stone filler through Sellar's Gulch.
Information about the Douglas County History Research Center and photo reproduction information is available at www.douglascountyhistory.org
If you choose to use one of our images, we'd love to know how! Leave a comment below or email us at email@example.com