doctor • dean
Montpelier, Vermont USA • The official portrait of the good, Dr. Howard Dean, 79th Governor (from 1991-2003), hangs in the state Capitol building. ∆ This portrait is so non-traditional, as to be compared to the cover of an L.L. Bean catalog.
• After 140 years, the Vermont State House still commands the landscape of Montpelier, the smallest capital city in America. The House and Senate chambers are the oldest legislative chambers in their original condition anywhere in the country. – from the State of Vermont's website.
Between 1778 and 1808, Vermont had no permanent seat of government, and its legislature met 47 times in 13 different towns around the state. In 1805, Montpelier was established as the permanent seat of the legislature, contingent on the town erecting suitable buildings and conveying them and the land to the State by September, 1808. Subscriptions and pledges were made, and the land was donated by Thomas Davis, son of Jacob Davis, the first permanent settler of Montpelier. The first wooden State House, "whittled out of use" by representatives' pocket knives, was replaced in the late 1830s with a Barre granite building designed by Ammi B. Young. It looked similar to the present Capitol, but was smaller, In January 1857, fire destroyed the Capitol so that reconstruction was necessary, with only the Greek Revival portico remaining. For the third time, Montpelier raised the funds. Architects Thomas W. Silloway and Joseph R. Richards designed the exterior and interiors, respectively. Standing on a small rise with a spacious and carefully landscaped approach, this Renaissance Revival building combines dignity of purpose with grace and beauty. Ceres, the goddess of agriculture, stands atop a gold-leafed dome. – per Central Vermont Historic Walking Tour's Montpelier's State Street Tour list.
From Wikipedia: The dome is topped by a statue titled Agriculture though more commonly referred to as Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture. The original statue was carved by Vermont artist Larkin Goldsmith Mead, who carved the large bust of Lincoln in the Hall of Inscriptions on the State House's ground floor. The current statue is a replacement, and something of a piece of folk art, based on Mead's original. It was carved in 1938 by then 87-year old Dwight Dwinell, Sergeant-at-Arms (in Vermont this official position is similar in nature to the White House Chief Usher).
☞ On December 30, 1970, the National Park Service designated this structure a National Historic Landmark (#70000739); one of only 17 in Vermont.
National Historic Landmarks are nationally significant historic places designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States. Today, fewer than 2,500 historic places bear this national distinction. [And only 17 in Vermont.] Working with citizens throughout the nation, the National Historic Landmarks Program draws upon the expertise of National Park Service staff who work to nominate new landmarks and provide assistance to existing landmarks.
National Historic Landmarks are exceptional places. They form a common bond between all Americans. While there are many historic places across the nation, only a small number have meaning to all Americans--these we call our National Historic Landmarks. – from the National Park Service.
☞ This Statehouse has also been listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#70000739), since 1970.
– – – – – – – –
☞ Shot during a visit to Montpelier, Vermont, to participate in the Third Annual Worldwide Photo Walk, one of 1,000 locations around the world where photographers meet-up & shoot away, all on the same day. • Why? More info.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
In July, 2010, I started a project to visit and document all seventeen Landmarks in Vermont. Here they are (in order of designation by the National Park Service):
 09/22/60 – JUSTIN S. MORRILL HOMESTEAD, Strafford, Orange County
 01/28/64 – TICONDEROGA (Side-paddle-wheel Lakeboat), Shelburne, Chittenden County
 06/23/65 – CALVIN COOLIDGE HOMESTEAD DISTRICT, Plymouth Notch, Windsor County
 12/21/65 – EMMA WILLARD HOUSE, Middlebury, Addison County
 11/13/66 – ROBBINS AND LAWRENCE ARMORY AND MACHINE SHOP, Windsor, Windsor County
 06/11/67 – GEORGE PERKINS MARSH BOYHOOD HOME, Woodstock, Windsor County
 05/23/68 – ROBERT FROST FARM, Addison County
 12/30/70 – VERMONT STATEHOUSE, Montpelier, Washington County
 11/28/72 – MOUNT INDEPENDENCE, Addison County
 12/20/89 – STELLAFANE OBSERVATORY, Springfield, Windsor County
 11/04/93 – NAULAKHA (Rudyard Kipling House), Dummerston, Windham County
 06/19/96 – OLD ROUND CHURCH, Richmond, Chittenden County
 06/19/96 – ST. JOHNSBURY ATHENAEUM, St. Johnsbury, Caledonia County
 12/09/97 – ROKEBY, Ferrisburgh, Addison County
 05/16/00 – ROCKINGHAM MEETING HOUSE, Windham County
 05/16/00 – SOCIALIST LABOR PARTY HALL, Barre, Washington County
 01/03/01 – SHELBURNE FARMS, Shelburne, Chittenden County