The photo on the left was taken on February 2, 2008 in the Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia. The photo on the right was taken on July 2, 2011 in Alamo Square, San Francisco.
On the left I'm approximately 170 pounds, and on the right I'm 112.6 pounds.
The photo on the left represents my weight maximum. After that trip I generally tried to eat less and eat healthier, and lost about 10 pounds through doing so over the next three years. I officially began the paleo diet on January 10, 2011, and weighed 156.5 pounds on that day. I followed that diet for 6 months, and I lost 49.3 pounds in that period.
- Avoided carbs (including starches) and sugars, entirely where possible
- Mostly ate raw fruit (not blended, no juice), cooked meat, nuts, and eggs. Mostly avoided cheese. Generally followed advice on www.marksdailyapple.com/
- Most frequent foods: bananas, raw almonds, raw pistachios, bacon
- Reduced calories to 800-1000 per day
- To ward off sugar cravings, drank diet soda and chewed gum
- Diet deviation mostly happened in the form of occasional beer or glass of wine
- Exercise was light to moderate: walking, hang gliding, some weight-lifting