The small village of Wiston (often spelt Wissington, but still pronounced Wiston) is in south Suffolk just west of Nayland. This lovely little Norman church is at the most southerly tip of the village, reached via a narrow farm lane to Wissington Hall. The church stands on raised ground in a moated site just west of the Hall; less than 100m from the River Stour and the Essex border.
St Mary's is a simple two-cell church with a rectangular nave and a
lower, narrower chancel with an apsidal East end. At the west end
there is a small timber-framed and weatherboarded bellturret
with a pyramid roof. The church is of flint, but now faced with cement.
The church had fallen into a state of disrepair by the 19th century and was subject to extensive restoration, beginning in 1853. The present appearance of the church is largely the doing of Charles Birch, Rector from 1832. He removed the 15th century windows he found and replaced them with the present neo-Norman ones; he replaced the square-ended chancel with an apse, and added the South porch. He also added the wooden mock-Romanesque gallery at the West end of the nave, and the oak benches. Birch also uncovered the medieval wallpaintings, but covered them again as he thought them distracting to the congregation. They were uncovered again by Professor Tristram in 1932, but the wax treatment he applied to conserve them had the opposite effect because it trapped moisture.