Norman Gate, Bury St. Edmunds (2)
A view of the Norman Gate (also known as St. James' Tower) from just inside the Abbey gardens, Bury St. Edmunds, with a view through the archway of Churchgate Street.
The Benedictine Abbey of St Edmund at Bury St Edmunds was built in the 11th and 12th centuries on a cruciform plan, with its head (or apse) pointed east. The abbey was much enlarged and rebuilt during the 12th century. At some 505 feet long, and spanning 246 ft across its westerly transept, Bury St Edmunds abbey church was one of the largest in the country.
Norman Gate dates from 1120–48 and was designed to be the gateway for the Abbey Church and it is still the belfry for the Church of St James, the present cathedral of Bury St Edmunds. This four-storey gate-hall is virtually unchanged and is entered through a single archway.