The first Covehead Lighthouse was built in 1967 and the present lighthouse in 1975. The square tapered lighthouse has always been fully automated and is considered a landfall light. The lighthouse was renovated in 1994 due to rotting and is now covered with pressure treated cedar siding.
The new structure was fully automated with a fog detector and fog horn and equipped with a mercury vapour filiment lamp.
The bulls-eye lens is over 100 years old. It was brought from Dalhousie, New Brunswick. The lens is made of cut prisms called bull’s eyes which concentrate the light and send it out in one direction. The bulb is changed every three to five years because it begins to blacken, but it never burns out.
There is a plaque on the side of the lighthouse describing the Yankee Gale, remembering the eighty ships and 161 men who perished in the savage 1851 storm.
The lighthouse is located within the Prince Edward Island National Park.