Chapel at Fort Ross
Chapel Fort Ross, Jenner,CA
Copyright ©Deborah M. Zajac. All rights reserved.
The copyright for this photo belongs solely to Deborah M. Zajac.
This image or any others by Deborah M. Zajac may not be copied, downloaded, altered, or used in any way without the expressed, written permission of the photographer.
The chapel is constructed from wooden boards...
It has a small belfry and is rather plain;
its entire interior decoration consists of two icons in silver rizas.
The chapel at Fort Ross receives almost no
income from those Russians who are occasional visitors.
~Journal of Father Ioann Veniaminov, 1836
The notable structure at the fort, the chapel, is unusual for North America and often photographed.
With its landmark "small belfry" which is a familiar sight along Hwy 1. The chapel is a
mecca to visiting Russians.
In 1906 earthquake the old chapel walls completely caved in,
and the floors and foundations were reduced to rubble.
The roof and turrets came to rest over the foundation virtually intact.
It was rebuilt with funds appropriated by the State Legislature in 1916.
In Oct. 1970 the restored chapel was destroyed in an accidental fire that swept
through the building leaving nothing but a few charred timbers.
Supporters of Fort Ross quickly organized to promote its rebuilding.
In 1973 the chapel we see today is what emerged from that undertaking.
The Bell that hangs outside the chapel was rebuilt using the material from the original bell,
and a rubbing from the original bell. It bears the inscription:
"Cast in the St. Petersburg Foundry of Master Craftsman Mikhail Makharovich Stukolkin."
Twice a year the bell is rung to announce to the public the Orthodox services which are
held in the chapel.