new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
1:72 Avia NS-92A, aircraft "42" of the חֵיל הָאֲוִיר (Kheil Ha’Avir, Israeli Air Force) 119 tajeset; Tel Nov, August 1955 (Whif/modified Heller kit) - WiP | by dizzyfugu
Back to photostream

1:72 Avia NS-92A, aircraft "42" of the חֵיל הָאֲוִיר (Kheil Ha’Avir, Israeli Air Force) 119 tajeset; Tel Nov, August 1955 (Whif/modified Heller kit) - WiP

The kit and its assembly:

This build was spawned by a friend’s idea who thought about Israel not only having procured the Bf 109 derivative Avia (C)S-199 in the late Forties, but also the Czechoslovakian S-92 clone of the Me 262. While the idea was unlikely, I spun it further and even considered a night fighter version for the IDF (somewhat as a counterpart to an Egyptian Mosquito night fighter with radial engines, which I had built some years ago). This became the conceptual basis for this relatively simple build.

 

The kit is the venerable but IMHO still decent Heller Me 262 B-1a/U1 night fighter kit – a simple offering with raised surface details, but a nice cockpit interior (for its time). The only real weak points are IHMO the wheels, which lack detail, and the somewhat robust antennae.

 

The model was basically built OOB, the only change is the rhinoplasty because I did not find the idea of using the original/outdated FuG 218 with its draggy antler array after the war convincing. As an alternative and inspired by the real world FuG 240 installations that actually entered German night fighter service on board of some Ju 88Gs, I sculpted a completely new nose section from spare parts, primarily a leftover nose section from a Matchbox Meteor NF.11 night fighter and some putty.

The big Meteor radome necessitated the guns to be re-located, included hollow steel needles for the gun barrels. The “cheeks” of the Me 262’s triangular fuselage were a welcome, natural fairing for them – and there even was a real world Me 262 recce version that had a pair of guns re-located into a similar low position. The original 300 l drop tanks and their respective “viking ship” pylons under the forward fuselage were retained.

Since the new nose was fully devoid of surface details and the Heller kit came with raised details, I experimentally tried to create fake panel line with white glue, “painted” against a single stripe of masking tape, so that only one hard edge (facing forward) was created. The result of this improvisation did not turn out bad at all!

 

311 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on August 6, 2019