Jos.Boston & Co., 1845
Smallest of the buildings making up Monterey State Historic Park, the Boston Store has filled a variety of uses in its 140 year history. The two story adobe and chalk rock building at Scott and Olivier Streets was built by Thomas O. Larkin in about 1845.
Larkin was the first and only U.S. Consul to Mexico in Monterey and California. Larkin used the building as a hospital for ailing seamen, and later as quarters for soldiers of the United States of America.Joseph Boston brought a safe with him from New York. It was certainly the first safe in Monterey and may have been the first safe in California. Since Joseph Boston allowed customers to keep gold in the safe, the building became known as “Casa del Oro” – house of gold. For the next eight or nine years the store flourished. The building is now part of the Monterey State Park System. The old adobe is open for tours.