new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Wasserschloss Velen, Münsterland, Nordseite und Park - Velen Castle, Muensterland, North Side and Park | by destinatio (very busy)
Back to photostream

Wasserschloss Velen, Münsterland, Nordseite und Park - Velen Castle, Muensterland, North Side and Park

Park and Outbuildings of Velen Castle, North Side

  

Overview over the history of the castle:

 

in the Middle Ages: presumably a motte-and-bailey

1240: first mentioned of Velen Castle as a fortified mansion

1426: first mention of Velen Castle as a Palace

The middle part of the castle dates from this time.

16th century: construction of the chapel and the two side wings

17th century: alterations at the main castle and construction of three-winged front building by the famous Muensterland architect Ambrosius von Oelde

18th century: alteration of the northern wing and construction of additional buildings by the famous Baroque architect Johann Conrad Schlaun

1931: destruction of the interior of Velen Castle by fire

1934: reconstruction of Velen Castle according to old drafts

1987/88: alteration of Velen Castle and its parks to a sporting hotel

 

Velen Castle - together with other castles - still belongs to the family of the Counts and Barons of Landsberg-Velen.

  

Park und Vorburg von Schloss Velen, Nordseite

 

Überblick über die Geschichte von Schloss Velen:

 

im Mittelalter wahrscheinlich eine Motte

1240 erste Erwähnung einer Burg Velen

1426 erste Erwähnung eines Schlosses Velen

Aus dieser Zeit stammt der Mitteltrakt des heutigen Schlosses.

16. Jahrhundert: Bau der Kapelle und der beiden Seitenflügel

17. Jahrhundert: Veränderungen am Hauptschloss und Errichtung der Vorburg durch den Münsterländer Baumeister Ambrosius von Oelde

18. Jahrhundert: Umgestaltung des Nordflügels und ergänzende Baumaßnahmen durch den berühmten Barockbaumeister Johann Conrad Schlaun

1931: Brand des Schlosses - das Innere wird nahezu vollständig vernichtet

1934: Wiederaufbau des Schlosses nach alten Plänen, Nutzung als Zollschule

1987/88: Umbau des Schlosses und der Parkanlagen zu einem Sportschloss

 

Schloss Velen und weitere Schlösser befinden sich noch stets im Besitz der Familie der Grafen und Freiherrn von Landsberg-Velen.

4,576 views
33 faves
76 comments
Taken on October 20, 2009