new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Handy Chapel | by Jeffrey Beall
Back to photostream

Handy Chapel

202 White Ave.

National Register 8/19/1994, 5ME.4157

 

"Built in 1892 to serve the need for an African American church in Grand Junction, the Handy Chapel has been a source of spiritual and physical comfort to the resident black community and travelers in distress. The company town deeded the lots for the chapel not to a specific congregation but to all black citizens of Grand Junction"--Description from the History Colorado website.

867 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on March 27, 2013