Beginning with the Southern corner a survey party, lead by Andrew Ellicott, placed stones one mile apart to mark the boundary of the District of Columbia. The Southern corner stone was erected with great ceremony on April 15, 1791 on Jones Point along the Potomac River in Virginia. It was the Residence Act of 1790 that authorized President Washington to locate new federal city along the Potomac River. In 1847 the Virginia portion of the District was returned to the state by the federal government. In 1916 the Daughters of the American Revolution erected fencing to preserve the remaining stones.
3 photos · 3,174 views