Charles Sumner School

Newer Older

View of the Charles Sumner School, 17th and M Streets, NW. Designed by Adolph Cluss the school was constructed in 1872 and was the first public school building erected for the education of the District's black population. Today the building houses a museum dedicated to the DC Public School system and conference center.

wdb3b, vpickering, ctankcycles, and 5 other people added this photo to their favorites.

  1. Pixel Wrangler 60 months ago | reply

    Charles Sumner School – Then & Now (100+ years later)

    After it closed in 1978, Sumner School was in disrepair and was saved from demolition through an organized community effort. Through the concerted efforts of Richard L. Hurlbut and others, a meticulous $5 million renovation was undertaken from 1984 to 1986. [1] [2]

    An addition was added to the rear (as shown in more recent photograph) which is almost indistinguishable from the original building. Some details of the original retaining wall appear to remain in place, albeit the landscaping and streetscape have changed significantly.

    "Charles Sumner School (2007)" by Chris Tank
    Charles Sumner School

    "Charles Sumner School (c.1890)" by Thompson
    Charles Sumner School

keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts