22-26 St. Giles Street, Edinburgh
By the eminent David Bryce, 1872-3. Scots Baronial former office building on steeply sloping corner site, with pepper-pot turrets to N corners; 4 storeys and attic with double basements to N. Ashlar (painted to ground). Cornices to ground and 1st floors. Crowstepped gables with skews and apex stacks. 2 pedimented dormerheads and small pointed and finialed dormer to attic at centre. Key-blocked windows at 1st floor, round-headed stained glass to left, lugged to right; corniced window with key-blocked oculus above to centre.
St. Giles Street was formed in 1869 by the demolition of tenements and closes. The site belonged to The Royal Bank and was developed by them. St. Giles Street became a street of newspaper offices; Nos. 22 and 24 were built as offices for the Daily Review. The first printing in these offices was in 1872; printing machinery was accommodated in the basement. The site plan shows 'the new stairs to Market Street' - still known today as The News Steps.
The N elevation of this building is important to the skyline of the Old Town from Princes Street, the pepperpot turrets being a neat touch as it mimics the ones found on the wall of the Castle.