Hafodunos
Hafodunos, Llangernyw, was built c. 1861-6 by the renowned architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-78), at a cost of £30.000 for Henry R. Sandbach, son of Samuel Sandbach, a Liverpool merchant and shipowner who had bought the original house in 1831. The original house was built during the first half of the 17th century.

Hafodunos was regarded as one of the finest examples of Scott's country houses, second only to Kelham Hall, Nottinghamshire, and was the only example of his domestic architecture in Wales. The house was built in a Venetian-inspired Gothic style, using red brick with pale stone dressings and slate roofs. The interiors possessed features which were typical of Scott's domestic style, eg. Puginesque doors, ribbed ceilings, and marble and stone chimneypieces.

The house contained H. R. Sandbach's collection of sculptures, including items by John Gibson (1790-1866). Some of Gibson's work was built into the structures in the form of marble reliefs in the billiard room. There were also casts on the staircase and in an adjoining room.

The terraced gardens are believed to contain over 1,200 species of exotic plants, many said to have been planted by the botanist and horticulturalist Sir William Hooker or his son J. D. Hooker.

Hafodunos later became a girls' boarding school, an accountancy college and a care home, before standing empty for many years. The building was destroyed by a fire in October 2004 and has remained derelict ever since.

It was eventually sold in 2010, with the new owner intending to restore the house and grounds.
97 photos · 4,817 views