Fairey Firefly MK.5 left and Supermarine Spitfire MK.XVI right or at least that is what I think they are acording to Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum website.
I was searching for a post processing effect that would resemble Mikey Mike's style or "secret sauce" and I came up with a pretty cool p.p. technique... I will outline it here for people to try:
1. copy background layer twice
2. make the middle layer a B&W using Image>Adjustments>Gradient Map...
3. Click on the Gradient Map picture to bring up the Gradient Editor
4. click on the left-bottom color stop (for me this is white) and drag it to location 11%
5. click on the right-bottom color stop (for me this is black) and drag it to location 11%
6. Add a color stop at location 50% by clicking beneath the gradient
7. double click this color stop just created and the select color window will pop up
8. in the select color window insert these values
9. Click OK thrice to apply gradient "shimming"
10. set top most layer overlay to color
see how this effect looks, I have only applied it to this image so far. Will test it more tomorrow...