new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
UK - Bexhill on Sea - De La Warr Pavilion Exterior sq - Topaz | by Darrell Godliman
Back to group

UK - Bexhill on Sea - De La Warr Pavilion Exterior sq - Topaz

From Wikipedia : "The De La Warr Pavilion is an International Style building constructed in 1935, considered by some to be in an Art Deco style. Some claim it to be the first major Modernist public building in Britain, although in fact it was preceded by some months by the Dutch-influenced Hornsey Town Hall. It is located in Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex, on the south coast of England.


The new seafront building was the result of an architectural competition initiated by the Herbrand Sackville, 9th Earl De La Warr, after whom the building was named. The "De La Warr" in both the pavilion's name and the earl's name is pronounced "Delaware" (as in the American state).


The 9th Earl, a committed socialist and Mayor of Bexhill, persuaded Bexhill council to develop the site as a public building. The competition was announced in the Architects Journal in February 1934, with a program that specified an entertainment hall to seat at least 1500 people; a 200-seat restaurant; a reading room; and a lounge. Initially, the budget for the project was limited to £50,000, although this was later raised to £80,000. Run by the Royal Institute of British Architects, this competition attracted over 230 entrants, many of them practicing in the Modernist style...


The architects selected for the project, Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff, were leading figures in the Modern Movement. The aesthetics employed in the International Style proved especially suited to the building, tending towards streamlined, industrially-influenced designs, often with expansive metal-framed windows, and eschewing traditional brick and stonework in favour of concrete and steel construction. Amongst the building's most innovative features was its use of a welded steel frame construction, pioneered by structural engineer Felix Samuely. Construction of the De La Warr Pavilion began in January 1935. The building was opened on 12 December of the same year by the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth)."

37 faves
Taken on August 23, 2009