The chapel at Palais du Tau
ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved
Do not use without permission
The medieval chapel at the former palace of the archibishop of Reims. It was here, in this palace, the French king stayed before his coronation in the cathedral close by and after the coronation the banquet was held here - the first recorded one in 990 and the last in 1825. The palace gets its name from the Greek letter Tau which shape it resembled, a name first attested in the 12th century.
The first attested building in the place was a late Gallo-Roman villa, later to be replaced by a Carolingian palace. This in turn was rebuilt and now the oldest part of the palace is the chapel (dating to 1207) and the rest of the palace dates to around 1500 (with a later, Baroque face-lift 1671-1710). The palace was damaged by fire in 1914. It now houses the Musée de l'Œuvre which shows a great collection of pieces of art connected with the cathedral - from statues and tapestries to reliquaries and items used at the coronations.