Glyptoteket - Livia
ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved
Do not use without permission.
Roman bust, from her life-time.
#Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek was founded by the brewer Carl Jacobsen, a man who had a vivid interest in contemporary Danish and French art - and ancient art too. He had a great collection which he, and his wife Ottilia donated to the public, in two deeds in 1888 and 1889. The collection seen today still reflects these intentions.
The museum contains over 10 000 objects of art - ancient and somewhat more modern.
The museum today consists of four buildings - the oldest being the Dahlerup building, named after its architect Vilhelm Dahlerup, who was the master behind what is still the main entrance to the museum. His complex was symmetrical with three wings, around an open court-yard. He was very influenced by earlier eras, and for example the façade is in a style which should be called Italian Renaissance - though 400 years too late. His interior was in turn influenced by both roccoco, and the Imperial Rome. This was inaugurated in 1897.
The second building was made by Hack Kampmann, and fittingly called the Kampmann building. Kampmann was a classicist, and his creation differed greatly from the other. But the second building was built to fit with the already existing one, forming a closed courtyard in the middle, which was covered with glass and would form one of the most famous sights of the place, the Winter Garden. This was opened to the public in 1906.
In 1996 the latest addition to the museum was opened to the public, the Henning Larsens building, by the architect of the same name.