Dad's Awesome Burrito Filling
Dad’s Awesome Burrito/Taco Filling
Caution: I made this up as I went along and did not take notes until after a night’s rest.
6 cloves garlic (reduce this to 2 cloves if not a garlic lover)
2 medium or 1 large onion
1 red bell pepper
6 dried hot peppers and/or 1 tblsp. red pepper flakes
10 oz can dice tomatoes and green chilies
3 tblsp. Mesa Harina or corn flour
3 tblsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. paprika
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp. sugar
1 beef bouillon cube
2 lbs. ground beef/chuck
1 cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet and set heat to medium low.
2) Mince the garlic and add to skillet. Cook until just starting to brown.
3) Dice onions and add to skillet and cook until just starting to turn translucent.
4) Dice the red bell pepper and add to skillet. You may need to add a little more olive oil at this point. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5) Add two pounds ground beef to skillet. Add dried hot peppers and/or red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper the meat and brown. Mix thoroughly and cook until meat is thoroughly browned.
6) While meat is browning, mix corn flour, chili powder, seasoned salt, paprika, cumin, sugar in a small bowl. Add some water to make a paste.
7) Skim off excess grease from skillet.
8) Add can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, cup of water with beef bouillon, and paste from step 6 to the skillet and mix well.
9) Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced…about 20 minutes.
10) Adjust salt and pepper to taste.