Place des Vosges
The Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV between 1605 and 1612. Originally known as the Place Royale, it is a true square (140m x 140m) and is the first instance of royal city planning in Europe.
[Paraphrase from Wikipedia]
The housefronts were all built to the same design of red brick with strips of stone quoins over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. The steeply-pitched blue slate roofs are pierced with discreet small-paned dormers above the pedimented dormers that stand upon the cornices. Only the north range was built with the vaulted ceilings that the "galleries" were meant to have. Two pavilions that rise higher than the unified roofline of the square center the north and south faces and offer access to the square through triple arches.
The square was renamed in 1799 when the département of the Vosges became the first to pay taxes supporting a campaign of the Revolutionary army. The Restoration returned the old royal name, but the short-lived Second Republic restored the revolutionary one in 1848.
View original size here.