new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
DSC_4517 Mosque of pasha Gazi Khassim | by Csaba_Bajko
Back to group

DSC_4517 Mosque of pasha Gazi Khassim

Gázi Khászim pasa dzsámija. Belvárosi plébániatemplom. (better to view in large)

 

Pécs / Hungary

  

The first Turkish pasha of Pécs, Gazi Khassim (the "Victorious") had it built in the middle of the 16th century approximately in the place of the Medieval main church of the town, the St Bartholomew Parish Church, that was demolished at that time. Of its two main parts of the building, the original, Turkish one is which faces the square. It has a square plan, in the corners of which relieving arches decorated with so called "stalactite vaulting" support the octagonal drum, on which the 28 metres high, semi-spherical cupola is placed spanning 17 metres. Of the original interior - apart from some fresco fragments - only the mihrab (worship niche marking the direction of Mecca), also decorated with stalactite vaulting, has survived.

 

After the Turkish occupation, the building was given to the Jesuite Order, who used it as the chapel of their convent and school (Nagy Lajos Grammar School) founded in the square therefore the church to the secondary school was connected by a bridge like corridor, that was only pulled down in the 19th century - for traffic reasons.

 

The church gained a more and more Baroque aspect during the repeated reconstructions until the restoration in its original form took place; it regained its present appearance between 1939 and 1942. The ogee-arch windows were reconstructed and in place of the original entrance the new, semicircular, Bauhaus wing in the northwest was built at this time - the latter decorated by a local painter Ernő Gebauer. Originally two minarets were to be attached to the reconstructed "mosque" but finally this failed to materialize.

 

Nagyjából a város középkori "főtemplomának", a Szt. Bertalan plébániatemplomnak a helyén építtette Pécs első török pasája, Gázi Khászim (a "Győztes") a XVI. század közepén. Két fő épületrésze közül az eredeti török építmény, a tér felé néző, délkeleti szárny négyzet alaprajzú tömbjét ún. "sztalaktit" boltozatokkal bélelt teherhárító ívek viszik át a nyolcszögletű dobra, melyen a 28m magas és 17m fesztávú, félgömb alakú kupola nyugszik. Az eredeti épületbelsőből - néhány freskótöredéken kívül - csupán a szintén sztalaktit boltozatos mihrab (a mekkai irányt mutató imafülke) maradt meg.

 

A török hódoltság után az épületet a jezsuita rend kapta meg, akik a téren alapított rendházuk és iskolájuk (Nagy Lajos Gimnázium) templomának használták, ezért egy függőfolyosó kötötte össze a gimnáziummal, melyet csak a XIX. században bontottak le - közlekedési okokból.

 

A templom a többszöri átépítés során egyre inkább barokkos arculatot kapott, míg sor nem került az eredeti állapotában való helyreállítására; mai formáját 1939-42 között nyerte vissza. Ekkor állították helyre a szamárhátíves ablakokat, illetve építették hozzá az eredeti bejárat helyére az északnyugati, Bauhaus hatású, félkör alakú szárnyat, melyet Gebauer Ernő freskói díszítenek. Eredetileg az is szerepelt a tervek közt, hogy két minaret is épül a templom délnyugati, illetve északkeleti oldalához, de ez végül is nem valósult meg.

1,296 views
3 faves
3 comments
Taken on November 3, 2007