Gove County Courthouse (Gove, Kansas)
This courthouse was originally built as the Benton House, a hotel, in 1885-86. It was a handsome post-rock structure. Ultimately Gove County purchased this hotel in 1886, and moved into the building in 1887. At some point in its history the stone courthouse was stuccoed over, and it existed as a white stucco building for most of the 20th Century. In the past 20 years or so additions have been made to the rear of the structure and the exterior was bricked over. It is the oldest courthouse in Western Kansas, and the state's third oldest courthouse after the ones in Chase (1873) and Pottawatomie (1884) counties. However, it has been so altered over the years that it is ineligible to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gove, sometimes called Gove City, is the least populous county seat in the state of Kansas with 80 people.