Ronda / Puente nuevo
The New Bridge is the most emblematic monument of the city of Ronda in Malaga and was built between 1751 and 1793. It links the historical and modern areas of the city, saving the Tajo de Ronda , a gorge more than 100 meters deep excavated by the river Guadalevín .
Of stone masonry, the bridge presents a central arch of half a point supported by another smaller one through which the river runs. In the upper part, there are the dependencies of the bridge that, in other times, were used as a prison, to whose sides open two other arches, also of half a point, that support the structure that supports the street.
In 1735 the first bridge was built, collapsing six years later and killing 50 people. Apparently the lack of support, the bad closing of the arch and the poor execution of the work caused the bridge to collapse. It was not until 1751 when it was decided to undertake the construction of a new bridge. To pay for it, it was necessary to collect money from the Real Maestranza and impose a tax at the May Fair. In its realization several teachers intervened, although the most outstanding was José Martín de Aldehuela ,who finished the work. Finally it was inaugurated in May of 1793.