Ground nut (peanut) soup
A colourful soup! It usually does not have green, but I have added swiss chard as a variation. Basic recipe:
- heat tablespoon of oil in the pot
- dice one cooking onion, saute in pot
- add 2 cups brown rice
- add teaspoon thyme
- add teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- stir until warm
- add large can of whole tomatoes; mash down with potato masher
- add stock of your choice to cover (I added low sodium vegetable stock)
- heat through to boiing
- add 3/4 cup crunchy organic peanut butter
- add more liquid (stock, water, tomato juice) to make soupy
- simmer on low heat for an hour
- add more spice (thyme and pepper flakes) and peanut butter to taste
- simmer at least until rice is cooked through
- keep adding liquid as needed. I used a whole box of stock plus lots of water
- add more spice as needed. I boosted the heat with a good helping of hot pepper sauce
- dice and add one red bell pepper towards the end of cooking (about the last 15 minutes). I also added the swiss chard at this time.
Serve out in bowls, give a good dusting of thyme.
Enjoy! I am interested to know any variations.
November 2011: I have reduced the recipe to 1/2 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup peanut butter to reduce the calories.
Another variation: spinach or kale (instead of chard). I have also added other vegetables such as eggplant and sundried tomatoes quite successfully. The more veggies you add, the more nutritional content!